Reviewer: Eva T.
Terrain: Road / trail
Model: Altra Provisioness™ 1.5
Don’t get distracted by the unique shape of this shoe – just lace up, hit the road, and immediately start enjoying the stability and comfort of the Altra Women's Provisioness™ 1.5.
At first try, the Provisioness™ 1.5 looks and fits unlike any other running shoe I’ve tried. Most noticeably, the wide toe-box allows my foot to splay naturally and helps maintain proper alignment. For anyone else who has ever experienced the pain of constricted nerves due to a narrow toe-box, this is the best alternative I’ve tried to date, particularly for road running. (I would have loved to have used these during my last half-marathon!)
This new model from Altra combines a lightweight, female-specific design with a removable stability wedge to assist women with fallen arches and overpronation. Don't need it? Take it out and run on. Meanwhile, I can feel the Zero Drop™ platform promoting better posture and alignment with every step.
Although these shoes have minimal cushioning compared to traditional trainers, my feet are in love with how they feel. From the ample toe-box to the breathable padding, this runner is well-made with quality materials. The solidly constructed sole is perhaps less flexible than other minimalist runners I’ve worn, but my feet feel fully protected on all urban surfaces, from tarmac to gravel.
Overall, Altra offers a great range of minimal, training and trail shoes for those who like feel of having a 0mm drop from toe to heel. Even after only a couple of months of running in these, I can tell that their shoes are quality products that hold up for short and long runs, and effectively cushion feet against unforgiving surfaces.
Runner’s Tip: New to natural running and zero-drop shoes? Transitioning from a traditional shoe to an 4mm or 0mm drop shoe requires time. You can expect your calves to feel sore for several weeks during this transition, so take it slowly to avoid injuring yourself.
- Ideal for: Running, Trail Running, Fitness and Cross Training
- Minimal seam construction to helps reduce the likelihood of chafing
- Tongue and heel pulls for an easier on and off
- Female-Specific FootShape™ Design
- NRS – Natural Ride System™
- Zero Drop™ Platform promotes a more natural foot strike and a more efficient stride
- Stack Height: 26mm Medial / 22mm Lateral. 21mm without wedge
- Dual-layer midsole is made up of EVA and AltraBound™ material
- Insole: Molded Support, Stability Wedge
- Outsole: Blown rubber FootPod™ provides grip and lasting wear
- Weight: 9.5 oz